Africa: A Diverse Geographical Area with Rapid Growth
Africa, a highly diverse geographical area that has shown rapid economic growth in the last 15 years, is a rapidly expanding practice of the Centennial Group.
The practice focuses on both shorter-term issues, linked to macroeconomic performance, growth and indebtedness, and longer term issues, related to productivity, savings and investment, macroeconomic sustainability, governance, growth strategies and associated aspects of economic analysis. It also comprises two of the structural issues facing much of the continent: infrastructure and financial sector development.
The Centennial Group carries out this work on the basis of specialized and cross-sectoral expertise; long-term acquaintance with the IMF, World Bank, and the African Development Bank; and use of Centennial’s large database and proprietary econometric models. The practice conducts both region-wide work, including North Africa, and specific country analyses covering both middle-income and low-income countries. Both the Partners and their associates are characterized by their broad professional experience and a deep knowledge of the region, including with regard to political and social developments.
Examples of Past Assignments
The practice has cooperated with regional institutions, business groups, national governments, and multilateral institutions around the world, including: AfDB, JICA, EIB, IFAD, World Bank, USAID, and MCC. Examples of our past assignment include:
- Restructuring of Agriculture in Sub Sahara Africa for Emerging Markets Forum.
- Assessment of infrastructure development funds in Africa for a major development institution in Europe.
- Infrastructure development needs in selected African countries for a major bilateral development institution.
- Debt sustainability assessment (DSA) analysis for about half a dozen countries for a major bilateral donor.
- Publication of a major book on the long term development prospects and challenges for continental Africa “Africa 2050”.
- Assistance for procurement for goods and services in a project funded by a major bilateral donor in a North African country.
- Formulation of a strategy and action program to improve the long term economic performance of one of the poorest countries in the world (for its top policy makers).
Meet the principal(s) that lead our Africa assignments:
Director and Chief Operating Officer
Director of Centennial Group and Centennial Group Latin America
Head of Global Trade and Competitiveness Practice